Picnic is a spectacular American play, written by the great playwright, William Inge. It debuted at the Music Box Theatre on Broadway in New York City in 1953 and has since then seen a number of productions, all acclaimed as breathtaking and captivating, and most often watched live by theatergoers with Picnic tickets in hand. This particular play is truly a masterpiece, a work of art, a drama whose setting is in a small Kansas town
Latest Picnic Events
- 4th of July Picnic: Turnpike Troubadours, Shinyribs & Billy Joe Shaver, Billy Bobs, tickets for 07/02 7:00PM at Billy Bobs, Fort Worth, TX
- Sat Jul 2 2016
- Willie Nelson's 4th of July Picnic: Willie Nelson, Cody Johnson Band, Shakey Graves, Brantley Gilbert & Lee Ann Womack, Austin360 Amphitheater, tickets for 07/04 11:00AM at Austin360 Amphitheater, Austin, TX
- Mon Jul 4 2016
- Picnic in Pozo: Descendents, NOFX & Youth Brigade, Pozo Saloon, tickets for 09/24 12:00PM at Pozo Saloon, Santa Margarita, CA
- Sat Sep 24 2016
- The Roots Picnic: Wu Tang Clan, John Mayer & X Ambassadors - 2 Day Pass, Bryant Park, tickets for 10/01 TBA at Bryant Park, New York, NY
- Sat Oct 1 2016
- The Roots Picnic: John Mayer, X Ambassadors & D'angelo - Saturday Pass, Bryant Park, tickets for 10/01 1:00PM at Bryant Park, New York, NY
- Sat Oct 1 2016
Its Broadway premiere in1853, was produced by Theatre Guild with Joshua Logan as the director. Picnic 's original cast was home to some of the most captivating Broadway stars of the time, including Paul Newman, Ralph Meeker, Arthur O'Connell, Eileen Heckart, Janice Rule, Reta Shaw and Kim Stanley. It was commercially and critically praised, winning the fabled Pulitzer Prize for Drama in 1953 as well as winning a Tony Award, going to Joshua Logan as the Best Director. It also won the Best Play award from the New York Drama Critics Cricle.
After Picnic ’s premiere on Broadway, it went on a US tour in 1954 and 1955. It also saw several productions in New Hope, Pennsylvania at the Bucks County Playhouse, Pasadena, California at the Pasadena Playhouse and Dennis, Massachusetts at the Cape Playhouse. In the UK, it premiered in 1958 in Coventry, at the Belgrade Theatre. During the sixties, a musical adaptation of the play premiered and in 1970, William Inge himself wrote a new version of the play, titled as Summer Brave. It was performed in New York City at the Equity Library Theatre and a revival of it was produced at the ANTA Theatre.
A movie adaptation of the play, directed also by Joshua Logan, was released in 1955 and it won a smashing two Academy Awards out of six Academy Award nominations. In 1986, a TV adaptation was aired on TV. In 2008, the University of Kansas staged an operatic rendition of the play, and one of its productions is set to hold performances. The upcoming version of Picnic is expected to draw huge crowd and Picnic tickets are going to be much in demand. Book your deal in advance and watch the classic play live in theater.