Joffrey Ballet Tickets
Being the first American ballet to perform at the White House and also the first one to visit Russia, Joffrey Ballet is rightly said to be the America’s Company of Firsts. Based in Chicago, Joffrey Ballet is a pioneer company that regularly performs classical ballets such as ‘The Nutcracker’ and ‘Romeo and Juliet’. To watch their performances that never fail to amaze the audiences with their theatrical prowess, get your hands on the Joffrey Ballet tickets for the upcoming shows. A unique American ballet group hailed for its modern dance pieces and productions like Billboard, Joffrey Ballet with its repertoire of masterpieces is currently on tour and must not be missed.
Joffrey Ballet Venues
- Joffrey Ballet Auditorium Theatre - IL
- Joffrey Ballet: New Works Cadillac Palace
- Joffrey Ballet Fred Kavli Theatre - Thousand Oaks Civic Arts Plaza
- Joffrey Ballet Peace Concert Hall At The Peace Center - SC
- Joffrey Ballet Zellerbach Hall
Joffrey Ballet Cities
Latest Joffrey Ballet Events
- Joffrey Ballet: Unique Voices, Auditorium Theatre - IL tickets for 02/11 07:30 PM at Auditorium Theatre IL, Chicago, IL
- Wed Feb 11 2015
- Joffrey Ballet: Unique Voices, Auditorium Theatre - IL tickets for 02/12 07:30 PM at Auditorium Theatre IL, Chicago, IL
- Thu Feb 12 2015
- Joffrey Ballet: Unique Voices, Auditorium Theatre - IL tickets for 02/13 07:30 PM at Auditorium Theatre IL, Chicago, IL
- Fri Feb 13 2015
- Joffrey Ballet: Unique Voices, Auditorium Theatre - IL tickets for 02/14 02:00 PM at Auditorium Theatre IL, Chicago, IL
- Sat Feb 14 2015
- Joffrey Ballet: Unique Voices, Auditorium Theatre - IL tickets for 02/14 07:30 PM at Auditorium Theatre IL, Chicago, IL
- Sat Feb 14 2015
- Joffrey Ballet: Unique Voices, Auditorium Theatre - IL tickets for 02/15 02:00 PM at Auditorium Theatre IL, Chicago, IL
- Sun Feb 15 2015
- Joffrey Ballet, Fred Kavli Theatre - Thousand Oaks Civic Arts Plaza tickets for 03/11 08:00 PM at Fred Kavli Theatre Thousand Oaks Civic Arts Plaza, Thousand Oaks, CA
- Wed Mar 11 2015
- Joffrey Ballet, Zellerbach Auditorium tickets for 03/14 08:00 PM at Zellerbach Auditorium, Berkeley, CA
- Sat Mar 14 2015
Probably the only American ballet company to reach the level of prominent European ballets, Joffrey Ballet is a professional dance company which was established in Chicago in 1956. Originally a touring company, Joffrey Ballet soon with the help of its founders and six-dancer ensemble became the home of excellence and artistic innovation. Fans can watch the captivating dancers of Joffrey live on stage, performing the best of the best classic works by getting the Joffrey Ballet tickets.
Founded by celebrated choreographers Robert Joffrey and Gerald Arpino, Joffrey Ballet is unique in a sense that it started performing original ballets, creation of Joffrey himself, in a U-Haul trailer pulled by a station wagon during its country tours while most of the companies were only performing the reduced versions of ballet classics. To pay the salaries to its ensemble of six dancers, Joffrey stayed in New York and taught in ballet classes while the co-founder Arpino led the ensemble across the country, performing classics in all the major cities. The ballet’s first ever performance was in 1957 in Chicago, its home now.
Formerly settled in New York as the Robert Joffrey Theatre Ballet, Joffrey Ballet was joined by Alvin Ailey, a modern choreographer, in 1962. She stayed with Joffrey till 1964 and then both parted their ways. However, by then, Joffrey Ballet had been on an international tour which was made possible due to Rebekah Harkness who is regarded as an early benefactor of ballet. It was owing to her that Joffrey Ballet became the first American ballet company to have performed in Russia. Within a year, Joffrey was all set to bring forth his new company, now named Joffrey Ballet which made its debut in 1965.
After a successful season in New York City, the company was invited to become a resident ballet company of City Center with Joffrey as its artistic director and Arpino as its chief choreographer. In its history, 60s and 70s are considered as the golden era when a number of ballet classics were revived by the company. The famous rock ballet Trinity by Arpino, created in 1970 was a big hit and with it the company’s presence was beginning to be felt. Among the other classical revivals by Joffrey Ballet are The Green Table by Kurt Jooss, Pineapple Pollby Cranko, Façade by Ashton, Petrushka by Fokine, Parade, Le Beau Danuble, Le Tricome by Massine and many more. Deuce Coupe, Twyla Tharp’s first commissioned ballet set to the music by Beach Boys is also a part of Joffrey’s repertoire.
The company stayed in New York as City Center Joffrey Ballet till 1977 when it established its second home in Los Angeles where it performed as Joffrey Ballet till 1992. The company left the city in 1995 and returned to Chicago and acquired permanent residence at the Joffrey Tower, a brilliant new facility in the heart of America. As in its former residencies, the ballet was met with huge success in Chicago due to its extensive touring schedules, effective and innovative education programs and the creation of work that was artistically vibrant and second to none.
After facing a number of financial challenges that led the company to shut its door several times, today Joffrey Ballet boasts of high standards. Comprising of 42 trained classical dancers, Joffrey Ballet is a regular performer at the Auditorium Theatre during its October-May season. The Nutcracker, the most awaited holiday tradition of Joffrey is performed in December every year. Hailed by Chicago Tribune as “…majestic and irresistible,” The Nutcracker can be watched by getting some cheap Joffrey Ballet ticketsin advance.