Southside Johnny And The Asbury Jukes Tickets
Southside Johnny and the Ashbury Jukes are a music group hailing from Jersey. They have been making music since 1976. They are known for introducing original ‘Sound of the Jersey Shore’, with the use of various music instruments and soulful vocals. The band is led by Southside Johnny whose love of Chicago blues is very evident in their music.
Southside Johnny And The Asbury Jukes Venues
- Southside Johnny And The Asbury Jukes Bearsville Theater
- Southside Johnny And The Asbury Jukes Bethel Woods Center For The Arts
- Southside Johnny And The Asbury Jukes Birchmere Music Hall
- Southside Johnny And The Asbury Jukes Brooklyn Bowl - NY
- Southside Johnny And The Asbury Jukes CNU Ferguson Center for the Arts
- Southside Johnny And The Asbury Jukes Count Basie Theatre
Southside Johnny And The Asbury Jukes Cities
- Southside Johnny And The Asbury Jukes Alexandria VA
- Southside Johnny And The Asbury Jukes Bethel NY
- Southside Johnny And The Asbury Jukes Brooklyn NY
- Southside Johnny And The Asbury Jukes Newport News VA
- Southside Johnny And The Asbury Jukes Red Bank NJ
- Southside Johnny And The Asbury Jukes Woodstock NY
Latest Southside Johnny And The Asbury Jukes Events
- Southside Johnny And The Asbury Jukes, Bearsville Theater tickets for 10/18 08:00 PM at Bearsville Theater, Woodstock, NY
- Sun Oct 18 2015
- Southside Johnny And The Asbury Jukes, Brooklyn Bowl - NY tickets for 10/25 07:30 PM at Brooklyn Bowl NY, Brooklyn, NY
- Sun Oct 25 2015
- Southside Johnny And The Asbury Jukes, Bethel Woods Center For The Arts tickets for 11/07 08:00 PM at Bethel Woods Center For The Arts, Bethel, NY
- Sat Nov 07 2015
- Southside Johnny And The Asbury Jukes, Birchmere Music Hall tickets for 12/26 07:30 PM at Birchmere Music Hall, Alexandria, VA
- Sat Dec 26 2015
- Southside Johnny And The Asbury Jukes, Count Basie tickets for 12/31 09:00 PM at Count Basie, Red Bank, NJ
- Thu Dec 31 2015
Southside Johnny’s actual name is John Lyon. John Lyon along with Steve Van Zandt, is accredited for the formation of the music group. John and Van Zandt were old acquaintances, knowing each other through the close knit music circle of Miami in the 70s. The duo, although initially in different bands, came together in February 1971 to play together in Van Zandt’s band titled Steve Van Zandt & The Big Bad Bobby Williams Band.
Like all bands during that time, this too was short lived. Van Zandt and John Lyon performed together again as part of Friendly Enemies, a Bruce Springsteen band. John Lyon joined the Blackberry Booze Band. The band was led by Paul Green who was the lead vocalist. Lyon played the harmonica and sometimes featured as the vocalist. After Green decided to leave the band, Lyon capitalized on the opportunity and decided to lead the band.
After a few changes in the line-up, the band featured Steve Van Zandt, Kevin Kavanagh, Al Berger, Billy Rush and Mexican American Carlo Novi. Kavanagh was also an old music acquaintance of Lyon and Van Zandt. In June 1975, this lineup of musicians decided to call themselves the Asbury Jukes. The name Asbury came from Asbury Park, the area where the band performed and Jukes was inspired by Little Walter & The Jukes.
After Van Zandt went on a tour with Bruce Springsteen, the band was renamed as Johnny Southside and the Asbury Jukes. Van Zandt did not completely disassociate from the group and helped them record their four song demo. The demo was sent to Eric Popovich, who signed them with the recording label Epic Records.
‘I Don’t Want To Go Home’ was the band’s debut album and featured two songs that were given by Bruce Springsteen. ‘The Fever’ a typical Springsteen powerhouse was the highlight of the album. Johnny Southside and the Asbury Jukes tickets offer major attractions for music lovers.
Van Zandt produced two more albums for the band after which his commitments with Springsteen led him to disassociate with the Jukes. The second and third albums were ‘This Time It’s For Real’ and ‘Hearts of Stone,’ released in 1977 and 1978 respectively.
After Van Zandt’s departure, Billy Rush the band’s guitarist took over the role of the producer and co-leader. The band released their albums ‘Love Is A Sacrifice’ and ‘Reach Up and Touch the Sky’ with the recording company Mercury Records. 1983 saw the band release their album ‘Trash It Up’ and a year later ‘In the Heat.’ The latter album saw Billy Rush leave the Jukes, after which Bobby Bandiera was selected as the guitarist.
In 1991, they released another album, ‘Better Days’, which had vocal contributions from Bruce Springsteen. Although it did not make a huge impact, it was well received and had minor hits. Their latest album, ‘Pills and Ammo’ was released in 2010.
Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes have seen a number of members come and go. Besides Bruce Springsteen, who regularly featured in many of their songs, other influential artists have also performed with the band. More noticeably, Jon Bon Jovi was also a part of their 1990 tour and sang for the band in the album ‘Better Days.’ He even cites the band as an influence in his music. Recently Southside Johnny recorded an album in Bon Jovi’s barn turned studio, named ‘Songs from the Barn.’
Kevin Kavanagh passed away in 2011 which was a blow to the band. However, the Jukes continue to make music. Their strong vocals and buoyant music it is as charming as ever. If you need to be reminded how good the band really is, get your Southside Johnny and Asbury Jukes tickets for a memorable evening.