As the job market gets increasingly competitive, the corporate and industrial sectors are becoming grim prospects for job seekers. Some of the most coveted jobs like banking and financial advising have become scarce as more companies that require their services are going out of business. In such an economic climate, a rising number of people are moving towards different sectors of the job market where there are more jobs available and a better chance of a stable career. While some of these fields require technical skills and experience, there are still some options left which a willing person could pick up at any stage of their career. One of the biggest industries in the world is the services, travel and tourism industry. To enter this industry, all you require is a relevant degree or certification in Hospitality.
Schiller International University
What is Hospitality Education?
Hospitality, in simple terms, is the service provided to guests by a host. The roots of the term 'hospitality' can be traced back to ancient Greek legend, where the word was used to describe the Greek God's treatment of their guests. In modern times, with a flourishing services industry, hospitality has become a study that focuses on the ethical code and manner of treatment that a host is expected to provide to their guests. While being a good host does not require a formal degree, the right amount of education is imperative to achieve a stable career in the hospitality industry. The levels of education available in hospitality range from certifications to associates, bachelors and masters degrees.
Courses Available and Career Opportunities
In addition to multiple levels of education being available to hospitality students, there are also a number of specializations that prepare learners for different sectors of the hospitality industry. Some of the most popular types of courses and their applications in the industry are listed below.
- Restaurant Management: These types of courses focus on training the individual to be proficient in the setup and running of restaurants. After completion of these courses, a learner is ready to perform in a number of roles in the food service industry. Some of the available courses include Food & Beverage Cost Control, Manage ment of Food, Beverage Operations, Food Selection and Preparation Food Science.
- Lodging Operations: These courses prepare the learners for a career in hotel and resort management. Some of the courses that can be taken include Hospitality Physical Plant, Resort Timeshare Management, Lodging Management, Reservation Sales, Marketing and Hotel Operations.
- Global Tourism: Anyone interested in entering the tourism industry will learn all the relevant skills from courses like Hospitality and Research Methods, Tourism Management, Airline Industry and Sustainable Tourism.
- Attractions Management: These courses will give you the skill set necessary to perform in a number of management roles in the Theme Park industry. A few courses you could take include Entertainment Arts and Theme Park Management.
- Event Management: People interested in event management will have the necessary knowledge and skills to manage their own events or work for an event management company after attending courses like Catering Management, Event Industry and Hospitality Marketing Management.
- Food Preparation: These courses will make sure you know your way around a kitchen and food areas. Some of the course choices are Beer & Wine Labs, Food Sanitation and Basic Food Preparation.
As the hospitality industry has various avenues that you could choose from, it is pivotal that you choose your profession carefully. Have a look through the list of accredited institutions that offer Hospitality education and pick your future.