Online learning is defined as the knowledge and skill-set obtained through an online education system. An online education system includes community colleges and junior colleges that offer that various diplomas and certification programs online as well as colleges and universities that offer online associate degrees, bachelor’s degrees, master's degrees and even PhD’s in various fields of study.
An online school system is a byproduct of the advancements in technology and the internet. Primarily, the internet provides the ease of connectivity and the technology enables the students to connect to the online curriculum. The Internet has developed into a dynamic and robust platform onto which hundreds of colleges and universities have been able to successfully develop and introduce a variety of different online courses. An online school is now a reality.
An online school system has the same philosophy and vision of traditional schools and colleges in terms of enhancing the knowledge of the communities. The only difference is the mechanism in which the philosophy and vision is rolled out. Hundreds and thousands of students are now enrolled in various online school systems across America. The online school systems are building the skill sets of the individuals and enhancing the core competencies of professionals from all walks of life.
Advantages of an online school system
Saint Joseph's University
University of Southern California
The following are the main advantages of enrolling in an online school system:
- Peace of mind. With such a hectic lifestyle of millions of people, it becomes very difficult to take out the time to travel to different parts of the city and become available for specific time slots within a day to attend classes. An online school system takes away the hassles and the complexities associated with the traditional school system. The online school system enables students to enroll in classes that are available 24x7 online. The curriculum and the lectures are all available through the Internet and the students can simply connect at his or her own convenience to further pursue the class curriculum.
- Cost. Typically, online school systems are comparatively cheaper as compared to the traditional school systems. The main reason behind the online school systems being cheaper than the traditional school systems is the lesser overheads. Online school systems already have their curriculum prepared and easily available. Since the curriculum is all online, the students only have to connect to immediately become part of the online school system.
- Flexibility. The online school system is an excellent means for professionals to enhance their skill sets and core competencies. Professionals that do not have the time to enroll in traditional school systems can easily update and enhance their skill sets by being simply available online at their convenience.
An online school system technology mechanism
An online school system primarily uses the following technologies to impart education:
- Immediate connectivity to content and classroom material via virtual private networks
- Video conferencing
- Online documentation for retrieval and storage
- Multimedia applications
- Remote connectivity to libraries and content
An online school system curriculum
An online school system can grant accredited and non-credited degrees, diplomas and certifications. Different online school systems have different curriculums. It is very important for the student to properly research and online school system before enrolling. For the most part, an online school system has the following curriculum available:
- Nursing Degree
- Engineering diploma
- Paralegal certification
- Associates degree in social sciences
- Associates degree in environmental sciences
- Associates degree, bachelors degree in general studies
- Associates degree, bachelors degree, or a Masters degree in Psychology
- Associates degree, bachelors degree, or a Masters degree in English literature
- Associates degree, bachelors degree, or a Masters degree in Marketing
- Associates degree, bachelors degree, or a Masters degree in Finance